Topic outline

  • General


    What we do:

    The Accommodation Manager provides students with University approved accommodation on campus, off campus or with homestay.

     Who are we:

    • Alison Spencer: Accommodation Manager

     Telephone 01752 636711 / Email:


      Marjon has signed up to the UUK Code of Practice for the Management of Student Accommodation.

      For more information please click here:



      The Campus Security Assistants will provide support from 20.00 to 08.00 Monday to Friday and at weekends from 0800 to 2000 and 2000 to 0800.  They look after the safety and security of the site and will conduct regular patrols.  They are the first port of call for any assistance.    To make contact please call 01752 636700 extension 2222 out of hours (please wait for the main phone line to reconnect to the security mobile, this can take several rings and you may experience some silence prior to the re-direct).

      The Resident Life Co-ordinators and Resident Student Ambassadors are on a duty rota out of normal office hours.

      Residence Life Co-ordinators:

      • Matthew Hulbert
      • Sophie Corner

       Resident Student Ambassadors:

      • Joseph Thorpe
      • Shelly Marwood
      • Connor Blowes
      • Georgina Kates
      • Luke Overthrow
      • Caitlin O'Boyle
      • Will Mintram
        Benjamin Greenslade
      • Rebecca Barber
      • Charlie Mudd
      • Joseph Tree
      • Charlotte Myerscough
      • Chloe Soby
      • Maisie Moule

      The Warden (Chris Smietanka) is responsible for:

      • Resident student welfare
      • Maintaining good resident conduct
      • Disciplinary procedures for misconduct
      • Management of resident life co-ordinators & resident student ambassadors


      Campus can be a lively place to live with a diverse population and sometimes not everyone is able to "get along". 

      The out of hours team can help with noisy neighbours, feeling homesick, not knowing your way around and are the first port of call for any incidents or accidents. 

      The Campus Security Assistants (CSA), Resident Life Co-ordinators (RLC) and Resident Student Ambassadors (RSA) assist in making your stay on campus enjoyable whilst taking into account everyone's safety and wellbeing. 



      • A-Z Living on Campus CONDUCT


        Good Conduct and Student Discipline apply as agreed by the Senate. If you cannot conduct yourself in a socially acceptable manner you will be subject to our disciplinary procedures. 


        Can be physical attacks and verbal, written or visual abuse, harassment, discrimination or intimidation. 

        Examples of bullying may be discrimination as a result of an individual's disability, gender, age, ethnicity, religion or sexuality.  Exclusion or being ignored by your friends, pressure to take part in so-called 'initiation ceremonies' in order to be accepted or intrusion of privacy are also forms of bullying.

        Any attention which is unwanted and causes you to feel harassed, fearful, alarmed or distressed is thought of as 'unacceptable behaviour'.

        Any incident of unacceptable behaviour brought to the University's attention will be formally investigated and may, where proven, lead to the dismissal of a member of staff or the expulsion of a student.

        ANYONE who has suffered a bullying incident is encouraged to report the matter, informally or formally.

        Quiet Enjoyment

        You are expected to have quiet enjoyment and are requested to show a consideration to others with regard to noise.

        Avoid at all times being a nuisance and annoyance to others.  You are expected to show a healthy respect to one another.  After midnight it is expected that residents will keep noise to a minimum.


        A lack of respect for values and consideration for others, together with anti social behaviour of some individuals can make life a misery for others.  We all have responsibilities as well as rights, civility and good manners.

        We need to know if people are behaving in an unacceptable manner.

        If you are being affected please report this.

        • A-Z Living on Campus COOKING SAFLEY


          • Most kitchen fires start between 10pm and 4am
          • Take care late at night; it is easy to be careless when you are tired
          • Never cook in your bedroom or under the influence of alcohol

           Deep Frying:

          • Dry food before you put it in the hot oil
          • Never fill the pan more than one-third full of oi
          • If the oil starts to smoke, it’s too hot.  Turn off the heat and leave to cool.

           General cooking safety:

          • Never leave pans unattended.  Take them off the heat if you have to leave the room
          • Don’t use matches or lighters to light gas cookers.  Spark devices are safer
          • Turn pan handles so they don’t stick out from the hob
          • Keep the oven door shut
          • Keep electrical leads, tea towels and cloths away from the cooker
          • Keep the oven, hob and grill clean.  A build-up of fat and grease can easily catch fire
          • Don’t put anything metallic inside the microwave
          • Take care when wearing loose clothing, it can easily catch fire
          • When you have finished cooking, make sure the cooker or oven is turned of



          Please ensure the toaster is switched on at the socket on the wall. Please choose which setting you require on the toaster 1 to 6. 1 being very light and 6 being very brown.

          Put bread into slots, 2 slices will fit in each side. There is a button on the toaster you can use if you are using frozen bread.

          Push the handle down so that the bread lowers and the handle clicks into place.

          When the toast is done the bread will automatically pop up. If you have overestimated the number and toast is burning you can press the top stop button and the toast will also pop up.

          Please do not poke any utensil into the toaster as it is dangerous.



          Fill the kettle with the required water, which you will be able to see through the window on the kettle. Do not overfill.

          Ensure the lid is secured tightly and the kettle is switched on at the wall then push the switch on which is located under the handle.

          When the kettle has boiled the switch will automatically switch off.

          Please be careful of the steam as will burn.


          White electric hob and Silver electric hob:

          Please use ring you would like to use according to pan size. There are 4 numbered dials on the right hand side which relates to each 4 rings. The numbers will range from 1 which is low, to 5 or 6 which is high.

          Please put the pan on the chosen ring and turn to the required temperature you need. You can turn this down at any time.

          When you have completed the cooking please turn the ring off but remember that these rings will still have residual heat for a short time so please do not touch as you will burn your hands.

          Please do not leave anything on top of the rings at any time such as tea towels, plastic, etc., as this will catch fire if the ring is still hot/warm.


          Ceramic hobs:

          Text Box: II


          Touch the Key on the control panel for 1 second and cooking zones will illuminate.

          Text Box: V

Text Box: VChoose the zone/ring you would like to use according to pan size and set the up/down arrows to set temperature you require. 1 is low.


          If no operation is performed within 10 seconds it will switch off into standby mode and you will need to press the control button again and start again.

          To switch off the hob you can either use the up/down arrows to switch off individual zones/rings or just press the control panel button for longer than 2 seconds to switch all rings off together.

          There will be residual heat in the hob which will show as a  H meaning it is still hot.

          Please do not leave anything on top of the rings at any time such as tea towels, plastic, etc. as this will catch fire if the ring is still hot/warm.



          Most of your leads are plugged in under the counter and operated by a switch above the counter.

          Please try not to push the fridges and freezers back as this may switch off your appliance.

          Please ensure that the drawers/ doors on your appliances are always closed properly as your freezer will ice up and you may have trouble closing the door and it will need to be defrosted. Also with the fridge your contents may perish.

          Gas Hobs:

          Igniting the burners/rings.

          Choose burner knob you require according to pan size. Keep knob pressed down and turn counter clockwise to large flame symbol.

          Press and release the ignition button (located below the burner knobs) until the released gas is ignited. Repeat if necessary until lit.

          If the burner is not lit within 15 seconds please wait at least a minute before trying again

          Adjust the temperature to the required cooking heat. 1 is low.

          Always place pans and saucepans in a manner that handles are not over the hob to prevent handles getting hot and causing burns and that the pans are placed centrally on the rings/burners.

          To turn ring off turn the knob back to off (upper) position. Always ensure that the knobs are switched off.


          Electric ovens:

          The left hand button is the Grill/Oven function knob.

          The right hand button is the Grill/Oven temperature control.

          Please see below information functions and suitability for cooking/grilling.



          • A-Z of Living on Campus DAMAGE


            You must take time to check your accommodation on arrival and report any discrepancies on your  inventory.  Your room will be checked again when you vacate the accommodation and any damage, cleaning, removal of items will be charged against your deposit. 

            You are responsible for your room and shared areas.


            Any damage repair or replacement of any equipment, fixture, fittings or furnishings belonging to the University or additional cleaning within your room will be charged and deducted from your deposit.

            Shared Areas

            Any damage repair or replacement of any equipment, fixture, fittings or furnishings belonging to the University or additional cleaning will incur a percentage of that cost being collectively charged with other student residents or the full cost charged to the individual responsible.  This will be deducted from your deposit. 




            • A-Z of Living on Campus EMERGENCY


              If you have to call an ambulance or fire brigade direct the number is 999 or 112 from your mobile.  Please ensure you inform Reception or if out of hours the CSA so they can direct the ambulance or fire brigade on arrival.

              First Aid

              In cases of need contact Reception on 01752 636700 extension 2222 who will call for a first aider, or contact your RSA.  Please note that ALL RSA's are first aid trained.

              Click here for further information on health & wellbeing. 

              • A-Z of Living on Campus EQUIPMENT



                The electricity supply is the UK standard of 240 volt at a frequency of 50 Hertz.

                Your room is fitted with standard 13 amp 3 pin sockets.

                Electrical Safety:

                • Keep electrical leads and appliances away from water
                • Turn off electrical appliances when they are not in use at the socket
                • Don’t overload sockets.  Use one plug in each socket.  If you have to use a fused adaptor and keep the total output to no more than 13 amps
                • If you are travelling from overseas you will need to bring the appropriate adaptor for your electrical items to work and be safe

                High rated appliances always need their own socket the University reserves the right to remove any of your personal electrical equipment believed to be dangerous.  This includes overloading sockets and having cables running across the room.


                DO NOT touch any gas equipment.  The University uses a Gas safety engineer.


                Heating is controlled by the building management system.  The University heating policy can be found in your contract.  Please report if you are cold or your radiators or not working when they should be at http://help/portal

                 Please do not bring or use fan heaters or plug in electric heaters in your room.


                ELECTRIC HEATER.


                An ironing board is provided in each kitchen.  Irons are not provided.  When ironing use the ironing boards provided and never leave an iron on unattended.

                Notice board

                Each bedroom has a fixed notice board and you are expected to place your notices on it.  Damage to walls will be charged against your deposit or to occupiers deposits collectively.  Blue tac or white tac does mark the walls and you will be charged a contribution towards painting if blue tac or white tac has caused damage.


                There is at least one telephone in each hall of residence and village house.  External calls cannot be made, however internal extensions can be dialed and incoming calls can be received.

                CROMWELL 8272

                HUDSON 8274    

                CLARK 8277

                COLERIDGE 8663

                KAY-SHUTTLEWORTH 8664

                TUFNELL 8662

                DIX 8661

                HOUSE 1 8301

                HOUSE 2 3902

                HOUSE 3 3903

                HOUSE 4 3904

                HOUSE 5 3905

                HOUSE 6 8306

                HOUSE 7 3907

                HOUSE 8 8308

                HOUSE 9 3909

                HOUSE 10 3910

                HOUSE 11 3911

                HOUSE 12 8312

                HOUSE 13 3913

                HOUSE 14 3914

                HOUSE 15 8315

                HOUSE 16 3916

                HOUSE 17 3917

                HOUSE 18 3918

                HOUSE 19 8319

                HOUSE 20 3920 

                HOUSE 21 8321

                HOUSE 22 3922

                HOUSE 23 3923

                HOUSE 24 8324

                HOUSE 25 3925

                HOUSE 26 3926

                HOUSE 27 3927

                HOUSE 28 3928

                HOUSE 29 8329

                HOUSE 30 3930

                HOUSE 31 3931

                HOUSE 32 3932

                HOUSE 33 3933

                HOUSE 34 3934

                HOUSE 35 3935

                HOUSE 36 8336

                HOUSE 37 3937

                HOUSE 38 8338

                • A-Z of Living on Campus FIRE




                  • P - Pull the pin
                  • A - Aim the nozzle at the base of the flames
                  • S - Squeeze trigger while holding extinguisher upright
                  • S - Sweep the extinguisher from side to side covering the area with the extinguishing agent


                  HOW TO USE A FIRE BLANKET

                  For substances in flames:

                  • Pull tape down until blanket is released
                  • Open blanket fully ensuring the blanket protects your hands, place gently over the flames to seal the fire from air
                  • Turn off power supply
                  • Leave blanket over fire 

                  For a person in flames:

                  • Pull tape down until blanket is released
                  • Open blanket fully ensuring the blanket protects your hands, wrap around the person to seal fire from air
                  • Seek medical assistance


                  • All accommodation is strictly non-smoking
                  • Never store combustible materials in accommodation
                  • Please see Cooking Safely


                  Fire doors must be kept closed at all times.  You are responsible for you own safety and security. Fire doors found wedged open will result in a fine of £150 being made against the occupier and/or collectively with the occupiers of the area involved.  Disciplinary action will be taken against anyone abusing this equipment.

                  Non Smoking Policy

                  All accommodation including your room is strictly non smoking.  The University non-smoking policy prevents any person smoking within any building and within 5 meters of a window or entrance and this includes residential accommodation.

                  If there is evidence that you are contravening this rule you will be required to vacate your accommodation.

                  Misuse, malicious activation, tampering with and theft of any fire fighting or fire protection equipment will result in a fine of £150 being made against the occupier and/or collectively wit the occupiers of the area involved. Disciplinary action will be taken against anyone abusing this equipment.

                  Maliciously activating a fire alarm is a CRIMINAL offence, liable to Police action.

                  Fire alarms will be tested every Wednesday at 3.00pm


                  • A-Z of Living on Campus

                    GENERAL INFORMATION

                    Code of Practice

                    The University aims to comply with and is committed to the standards of the Universities UUK/Guild HE Code of Practice for the Management of Student Housing. 


                    Accommodation is cleaned weekly to maintain standards.  Your cleaning day is advertised on your noticeboard in your flat/house.  Outside of these times occupiers are expected to maintain standards.  Failure to keep your kitchen and communal areas in a clean, tidy and orderly manner may result in the University arranging a clean and the cost being passed to you as responsible occupiers.

                    Your cleaner will complete the following on their weekly clean:

                    Bathrooms & toilets: clean pipework, toilets, cisterns, showers, clean walls and mop floors.  Will clean fans where able to access.

                    Kitchens: wipe all surfaces where clear, stack dirty dishes (not do them for you), clean oven and hob, wipe cupboard fronts, fridge and freezer fronts, spot clean walls where necessary, wipe sills and mop floors.  They will remove any rubbish on day of cleaning to take to bin bays and wipe bins.  Please note you must take your rubbish and recycling to bin bays on other days of the week.

                    Corridors and stairways: spot clean walls where necessary, wipe skirtings, rails and mop/vacuum floors/stairs.


                    In the first instance your complaint should be raised with the Accommodation Manager.  Should your problem not be resolved and you have cause for concern please refer to the Student Regulations Framework section 17 regarding how to complain.


                    On departure your room will be checked. Study bedrooms together with communal areas must be left in a good clean manner, all belongings removed and all rubbish disposed of.  Any additional cleaning or damage caused will be deducted from your deposit or collectively to all deposits.  Any items left in your accommodation after your departure will be disposed of immediately.  The University will assume no responsibility.

                    Keys are to be returned to Reception or posted through "keys in" at the security office if out of hours.  Failure to do so will result in the automatic charge of £70 against your deposit for replacement lock charges.   


                    Energy Efficiency

                    The University tries to make all its buildings as energy efficient as possible.

                    Despite this, huge amounts of energy are used to heat and light the campus, its seven halls and village.  Much of this energy could be saved by individuals being more energy efficient. 


                    • Switch off lights in empty rooms and corridors
                    • Use just the light you need 
                    • Don't leave appliances on standby
                    • Don't leave laptops or phones on charge unnecessarily 
                    • Switch off taps and showers (a dripping hot water tap in one week wastes enough water to fill a bath)


                    TURN IT OFF WHEN NOT IN USE

                    Parking & Green Travel

                    As a resident student you may not be eligible for a parking permit for the Marjon campus.  Please see further information on our website:

                    If you are not eligible The George Park & Ride is free for students and located a short distance from the University. Their is a bus routed from the Park & Ride to the Sport Centre. Vouchers to exchange for a return journey are available from Reception.  Enhanced travel information, including routes and timetables, are available on the George Park & Ride website.

                    Staff, students, visitors and guests are permitted to park on the main campus (not Marjon Sport and Health Centre) for up to 90 minutes free of charge . Please register upon arrival with the Just Park App at or phone them on 01453 488 020. This will then give you your free 90 minutes and you will get a reminder if you are close to going over and the option to pay for additional time.

                    Everyone is encouraged to use public transport through the provision of significantly discounted bus vouchers available for purchase from Reception. Stagecoach Plymouth Plus weekly tickets are available at £6.00 per week for students and £12.70 for staff. Changes subject to Stagecoach tariffs. City Bus offer a 15% discount Monday to Friday when displaying your NUS card.

                    The University has storage provision for bicycles available on campus, with lockers and showering facilities at the Sport Centre. Access to these facilities is free and can be arranged via Reception. Cycling and walking routes are available on the University website and intranet


                    No animal is allowed in accommodation or on the University premises.  Assistance dogs only are permitted.



                    When addressing mail your 'Hall/House & Room Number' should appear as the first line of the address the:

                    The University of St Mark & St John

                    Derriford Road


                    PL6 8BH


                    Please call at Reception to collect your mail.  You will be emailed if you have a parcel for collection .

                    There is a Royal Mail post box situated outside at the back of the Finance Office - on your way to the Halls. 



                    You will need to supply your own TV, you may need to purchase an indoor aerial for your television. It is a CRIMINAL offence not to have a valid TV License and you are responsible to purchase one for your room.

                    You will need a TV License if you install or use any television, receiving equipment, video recorder or PCTV, computer, to receive any television programme services including BBC, ITV Channels Satellite, Cable or other services.  When applying for your TV License please give the full University address plus your Hall of Residence or Village House number and room number.

                    If you receive correspondence from the TV Licensing Authority you must respond.

                    Residents caught without a TV License will be fined.  You must inform the TV Licensing Authority when you change your address. 



                    You are on a fixed term student resident agreement and may occupy your accommodation during the Christmas and Easter vacations.  You are required to vacate you accommodation at the end of your agreement before the summer vacation.

                    There are no storage facilities on campus and you are advised to make arrangements for storage with private companies. 



                    By prior arrangement with the Accommodation Manager is  may be possible, subject to availability, to offer temporary or overnight accommodation to visitors at a cost of £35 per person per night room only.  If you are having someone stay in your room please let Reception know their name and the nights they are staying.



                    All water outlets in both the bedrooms and the kitchens are mains fed water and drinkable.



                    In the event that you withdraw or suspend from your course you are required to inform the Accommodation Manager, in writing.  Your Dining In Scheme card will be cancelled, your room will be checked and your deposit credited to your account.  Please note that unless you can find a suitable replacement for your room you will be liable for the rent during the rental periods you have been resident.  Please see section 6 of your contract.







                    • A-Z of Living on Campus


                      There is a launderette on campus run by Circuit laundry. 



                      Please recycle.  Dry mix recycling bins are available in the accommodation and you can place paper, plastic and cardboard in these. Glass recycling bags are available.  You are responsible for taking your recycling and general waste to the skips around the campus.

                      There is no Refuge collection from accommodation, it is your responsibility as a household to remove to appropriate skips around campus.



                      • A-Z of Living on Campus



                        For fire, flood, gas leak or electrical requirements that effect health and safety 01752 636700 extension 2222.

                        Emergencies will be assessed within 24 hours. 

                        (Please see your contract at the beginning of this section for response times)


                        Routine Maintenance

                        Any concern you have regarding maintenance must be reported promptly to the Estates Department via the helpdesk at http://help/portal

                        Please do not ask, or expect your flatmates or other members of staff to report matters for you. 

                        Where possible, please report maintenance problems in the morning in order to provide sufficient time for the work to be carried out. Non emergency repairs reported on a Saturday and Sunday will not be dealt with until the Monday of the following week. 

                        Should you need assistance over a weekend please report to the Campus Security Assistants.

                        Depending on the urgency and nature of the problem the fault will either be passed to one of our maintenance staff, or to an external contractor.  Issues are dealt with at varying speeds depending on the importance and pressure of work for the various trades persons involved.  Please bear with us in this respect as we do endeavour to have work carried out as quickly as possible. 

                        Once a fault has been reported via the help portal an authorised person will enter your room to access or carry out a repair.  Please note that no prior notice will be given and you should allow access to the room in order to avoid the repair being delayed.



                        It is your responsibility to permit the University contractors or staff to enter your room to inspect the condition of the room and to carry out repairs, maintenance and cleaning.   It is your responsibility to therefore, maintain a safe environment for the employees who may have to enter the premises. Please do not litter or obstruct the room or the shared areas and keep all passageways, stairways, exits and fire exits on the premises clear of obstruction and combustible materials.



                        The accommodation grounds are tidied on a regular basis and should be kept free from litter and rubbish.  You are expected to keep the grounds clean and tidy.  All litter must be taken to the bins.  It is completely unacceptable to dispose of any rubbish out of windows and any student found to be doing this could face disciplinary action.



                        The University reserves the right to move you to alternative accommodation on campus for redecoration or maintenance purposes.  A redecoration and maintenance programme is underway so some movement will be necessary.  There will be no adjustment to residence fees.



                        • A-Z of Living on Campus


                          You are responsible for your room and your area. 

                          Keep the outer main door of accommodation, your flat door and your bedroom doors locked at all times. 

                          All fire doors must be kept closed at all times.

                          Please do not allow entry into accommodation or to your bedroom to any unauthorised or unknown persons at anytime.  If in doubt, seek help by calling the Reception 01752 636700.  University staff and contractors have identification badges so feel free to ask to see it.

                          You must to take special notice of security.  Always let your friends know when you will be away even if only for a night or a few days.  If you have any reason to be concerned about the safety / absence / whereabouts of anyone please inform Reception or Student Support immediately.

                          Campus Watch!  Things go missing!  Lock your room!  Keep your property secure!  Do not leave your laptop unattended at any time!

                          This campus is an "open” campus and you cannot guarantee that people about are students or staff, accommodation doors must be kept locked and secure at all times.

                          Devon and Cornwall Police strongly recommend that residents mark all belongings and equipment with a UV marker pen for identification purposes and suggest you use your postcode as identification.

                          If your wallet or purse is stolen, immediately inform your bank and cancel your debit cards.

                          Mobiles are by far the most popular items stolen from young people.  Dialling *#06# will give you your unique mobile registration (IMEI) number. Make a note and register it here. If your phone is then lost or stolen, a quick call to the immobilise hotline (08701 123 123) will result in your handset being blocked on all the networks.

                          Do be suspicious of e-mails or phone calls requesting too much personal information and destroy papers carrying bank or credit card details. Identity theft is on the increase.


                          Devon & Cornwall Constabulary

                          Local Police Station is located at 

                          Budshead Way, Crownhill, Plymouth, PL6 5HT

                          Contact details

                          Telephone 101.  Minicom 18001 101. 



                          Your contents are insured whilst you are an occupier. 



                          You will be held responsible for your keys.  Should you mislay or lose your keys please come to the Reception where you can sign out the spare key.  if it is out of hours the duty Campus Security Assistant can let you into your room, then you can call at Reception the next day to sign out the spare.  Should both sets of keys not be returned at the end of the tenancy a charge of £70 will be deducted from your deposit for a lock change.




                          • CONTACT NUMBERS

                            CONTACT NUMBERS

                            EMERGENCY NUMBERS

                            Dial 01752 636700 extension 2222 or from a mobile 999 or 112 for

                            • POLICE
                            • AMBULANCE
                            • FIRE BRIGADE


                            USEFULL TELEPHONE NUMBERS/EMAIL

                            Reception 01752 636700


                            Finance Office 01752 636805


                            Chaplaincy Centre 01752 636700 extension 2047


                            Computing Services 01752 636700 extension 4333


                            Disability Advice and Inclusion Team 01752 636833


                            Doctor (Elm Surgery) 01752 776772



                            Sport Centre 01752 636876

                            Student Support 01752 636291


                            report maintenance at http://help/portal



                            • Moving Off Campus

                              WHEN TO LOOK

                              Give yourself time to sort out your grouping before you finally decide on who you are going to share with and then start looking for your housing. You will feel pressure to get this arranged as early as October but please wait until January/February.

                              Only view a property when the whole group are able to attend. Never go alone. Make sure you are united as a group in the final decision making. Insist on seeing all areas of the premises offered. Do not be rushed into anything.


                              Do not accept a house if you have ANY DOUBTS.

                              Plymouth has many student accommodation providers so the best way to start is ask other students who they rented through, google "student accommodation in Plymouth".  To ensure your provider makes the grade look for the ANUK Accreditation if purpose built student accommodation or if a house share ensure the property is HMO licensed

                              • A-Z of finding a property

                                Bathroom/Shower/Toilet Facilities

                                The requirement for 4 or fewer occupiers is a bathroom with a fixed bath/shower and a toilet.

                                Every 5 occupiers is a bathroom with a fixed bath/shower with a separate toilet and wash hand basin.

                                5 occupiers of more is a bathroom with a fixed bath/shower with a separate toilet and wash hand basin and a wash hand basin in each housing unit.

                                No bath, shower room or toilet should be more than one floor away from any user. Neither a bath nor shower can be provided in a kitchen area, neither can a kitchen door open directly into a bathroom/toilet area. External WC’s are not acceptable and cannot be included in the above ratio.


                                Common Room

                                If possible rent a house with a lounge/communal area


                                Curtains & Carpets

                                All rooms should be suitably supplied.



                                A fire extinguisher and fire blanket must be provided as appropriate to the type and size of property.


                                Food Storage

                                Each occupant should be provided food storage space, preferably wall mounted [space below a sink unit is not accepted as food storage space].



                                Upholstered furniture must comply with the Regulations covering flammability and should have a label stating this.



                                All habitable rooms shall be adequately heated by a fixed space heating appliance of either gas or electricity.


                                Kitchen & Cooking facilities

                                Approved standard size gas or electric appliances must be provided.

                                Refrigerator/freezer, pots, pans, cutlery, crockery, kettle, iron and waste bin are standard items. Check this is so prior to accepting a property. Also find out when your refuse collection day is.


                                Smoke Detectors

                                It is essential that smoke detectors/alarms are fitted in your accommodation and should be linked to each other via the mains electricity.


                                Study Bedroom

                                Your room should be suitably heated and adequately furnished to provide a study/bedroom, including a worktable/desk and desk chair [both essential], easy chair [space allowing], wardrobe, drawer space/chest of drawers, bed, bedside table, shelving for books, waste bin and mirror. The room must be carpeted and curtained and have an acceptable form of heating.

                                • What you need to know - tenancy

                                  LIVING IN SHARED ACCOMMODATION

                                  A student house share may be classed as a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO), Plymouth City Council require the following properties to be licensed:

                                  At least three tenants live there, forming more than one household sharing a toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants. 

                                  A license will normally last for 5 years and will ensure that the HMO is suitable for:

                                  • occupation by the number of people proposed to live in it
                                  • the proposed licence holder is a fit and proper person
                                  • the proposed licence holder is the appropriate person to hold the licence
                                  • the proposed manager, if there is one, if a fit and proper person
                                  • the management arrangements are satisfactory, competent and the financial and management structures are suitable
                                  • the landlords electrical application and furniture are safe
                                  • where gas is supplied there is a current gas safety certificate
                                  • there are operational smoke alarms on each floor of the building
                                  • all tenants have a written “statement of terms of tenancy”


                                  STATEMENT OF TERMS OF TENANCY (AGREEMENT/CONTRACT)

                                  Your Agreement is an essential and very important document. Do not sign your Agreement until you have read it individually and collectively as a group and you all understand every part of the Agreement. If in doubt seek assistance.

                                  Before you sign anything ask if there is a charge and, if so, what the charge will be to you and what it is for.


                                  • on your obligations
                                  • on the obligations of your landlord/agent
                                  • the duration stated on your Agreement is to your satisfaction
                                  • details of rent payment. Most tenancies are fixed so you are unable to terminate the agreement.  If you choose to vacate the premises you will still be liable for the rent
                                  • what the rent does and does not include e.g., gas, electricity, other services
                                  • on what you are asked to pay in advance, is it for rent, deposit, or bits of both
                                  • there are no hidden extras


                                  Get any Agreement in writing.


                                  Don't be afraid to ask any questions. Voice your concerns regarding your tenancy to your landlord/agent before accepting a property. You have the right to know. Ask all your questions before you sign an Agreement.


                                  NEVER sign an Agreement to take on accommodation you have not viewed or that is in the process of "being purchased" or is in the process of "being done up".



                                  You will be asked to pay a deposit when you sign your Agreement. The amount can vary considerably from one week to two months rent in advance. Always obtain a receipt for your deposit and make sure you know precisely what the deposit covers.


                                  Your landlord/agent has to protect your deposit by placing it in a Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme, within fourteen days of taking it from you. You should then be given the following details:

                                  • the contact of the tenancy deposit scheme
                                  • the contact details of the landlord/agent
                                  • how to apply for the release of the deposit
                                  • information explaining the purpose of the deposit
                                  • what to do is there is a dispute about the deposit


                                  You have a responsibility to return the property in the same condition that is was let to you, allowing for fair wear and tear.


                                  RIGHT TO RENT CHECKS

                                  Your landlord will have to check that you are eligible to rent a property in the UK. 

                                  You will need to show him one of the following documents and allow the landlord to take copies, prior to the tenancy starting:

                                  • UK passport
                                  • EEA/Swiss national passport/identity card
                                  • Registration Certificate or document certifying permanent residence of EEA/Swiss national
                                  • EEA/Swiss family member Permanent Residence card
                                  • Biometric Residence Permit with unlimited leave
                                  • Passport or travel document with unlimited leave
                                  • UK immigration status document endorsed with unlimited leave
                                  • A certificate of naturalisation or registration as a British Citizen
                                  • A valid passport endorsed with a time-limited period
                                  • Biometric immigration document with permission to stay for time-limited period
                                  • Non-EEA national residence card
                                  • UK immigration status document with a time-limited endorsement from the Home Office

                                  OR two of the following documents in combination:

                                  • UK birth or adoption certificate
                                  • Full or provisional UK driving licence
                                  • A letter from HM Prison Service
                                  • A letter from a UK Government Department or Local Authority
                                  • A letter from National Offender Management Service
                                  • Evidence of current or previous service in UK armed forces
                                  • A letter from a police force confirming that certain document have been reported stolen
                                  • A letter from a private rented sector access scheme
                                  • A letter of attestation from an employer
                                  • A letter from a UK further or higher education institution
                                  • A letter of attestation from a UK passport holder working in an acceptable profession
                                  • Benefits paperwork






                                  • What you need to know - practical

                                    ARRIVAL AT YOUR ACCOMMODATION

                                    Know your address and the telephone contact of your landlord/agent. Find out exactly when and where you get the keys. Your landlord/agent should be at the property to check the Inventory with you, read the meters, and deal with any property advice/instructions on your arrival.



                                    Be prepared! The average costs for bills is approximately £10 per person per week. You must have light, warmth and hot water! By placing approximately £10 per person per week aside towards payment, the kitty, will help soften the blow when bills come pouring in. There are always more payments than you think!



                                    The Police ask that you mark your belongings with an ultra violet marker with your postcode and student number. The Accommodation Officer advises you to take home with you all items of value and items valuable to you during a period of absence, particularly vacation times, and place all other items remaining in your accommodation out of sight, where possible, in cupboards, etc.

                                    Houses with alarms are far less likely to be the target for burglars.

                                    Make sure you have adequate contents insurance.



                                    Students can purchase meals at the University and also buy into the Dining-In-Scheme. Contact the Catering Department 01752 636862 for further information.


                                    COUNCIL TAX

                                    A house that is solely for the occupation of students attending a full time course in Higher Education is normally exempt from Council Tax charges.  The University will inform your local council of your status as a full time student.



                                    It is always advisable to inform your landlord/agent immediately of any damage to the property, fixture, fittings, during the period of your tenancy. Any concerns should be dealt with to avoid any misunderstanding at the termination of a tenancy. Inventories should also be amended accordingly.



                                    Do not attempt any redecoration or structural alterations to the property. Always consult your landlord/agent in the first instance.



                                    Unless otherwise stated you will be responsible for all electricity consumed plus quarterly charges during the period of your tenancy. Always take a meter reading on arrival, keep a safe record and inform the supplier of the reading, date and tenants names immediately you take up a tenancy. Make sure your landlord/agent has a current safety certificate for all the electrical appliances.



                                    All financial arrangements are between you and the landlord/agent. The University cannot enter into any negotiations in this matter and assume no responsibility.



                                    Make sure you are aware of emergency escape routes, discuss this with your landlord/agent and know how to call the Fire Brigade.

                                    Some precautions:

                                    • Never leave a chip pan unattended with the heat on
                                    • Never leave clothes on top of any gas fire or electrical appliance
                                    • Never leave an electric iron on unattended
                                    • Never empty an ashtray into a waste bin last thing at night
                                    • Never cook late at night



                                    It is required by Law for a landlord/agent to have gas appliances checked for safety at least once a year by a Corgi registered gas installer. You must ask your landlord/agent for proof of inspection and safety.


                                    Unless otherwise stated you will be responsible for all gas consumed plus the quarterly charge during the period of your tenancy. Always take a meter reading on arrival, keep a safe record and inform the supplier of the reading, date and tenants names immediately you take up a tenancy.


                                    GOOD CONDUCT

                                    Good conduct and student discipline apply as agreed by The Council of Management of the University . Please refer to the current Student Regulations Handbook.



                                    Each student is strongly advised to take out their own adequate contents insurance cover.



                                    Property insurance is not the responsibility of a student. This should be undertaken by your landlord/agent - make sure it is.



                                    This should be provided to each tenant detailing the contents of each individual room and all communal areas. Check this document with care at the commencement of a tenancy and write any queries, amendments, discrepancies, breakages, damage, you come across and point all these out, in writing, to your landlord/agent immediately. Time spent doing this at the commencement of a tenancy will avoid misunderstanding or dispute at the end of a tenancy when you check the items again, and need to negotiate your deposit refund.



                                    Each tenant should receive a set of keys. While you are in possession of keys to the property you are liable for rent.


                                    LEGAL POSIOTION

                                    If you are not clear about your legal position, get advice. The Citizen's Advice Bureau will assist you, 0300 330 9043.



                                    Find out what to do if you require maintenance (blocked toilet, broken tap, lights out). Most landlords/agents have cover in place. At all times contact your landlord/agent for advice before taking any action.



                                    Normal procedure is to have permission from your landlord/agent to place posters on internal walls of the accommodation. Placing posters without permission could affect your deposit.


                                    QUIET ENJOYMENT

                                    In order to safeguard your privacy it is normal to ask your landlord/agent to give 24 hours notice of entry and the personal permission of a tenant to enter his/her own room, except in cases of emergency.



                                    At all times make security a priority and habit in your home. Keep doors into the property locked at all times. You will be held responsible for your accommodation and the behaviour of other people entering that accommodation.



                                    In most cases the telephone is entirely the responsibility of tenants.



                                    You must have a TV Licence to use a set within your room. The penalty for not being able to produce a valid TV Licence could lead to a fine. A TV Licence is the responsibility of tenants. You can refer to customer enquiries at



                                    It is standard practice that full weekly rental is payable during both the Christmas and Easter vacation periods. You are, of course, entitled to use your accommodation while you are paying full rent.



                                    All habitable rooms shall be ventilated directly to the external air by a window. Kitchen, bathroom, water closet, that have no external window should be provided with mechanical ventilation.


                                    WATER CHARGES

                                    Some tenants are liable for the water rate for the duration of a tenancy. This charge can be costly. You must find out whether you are liable and how much the quarterly charge is before signing your Agreement. Ask to see the cost of charges incurred previously. You are strongly encouraged to arrange for this payment to be made by your landlord/agent.